Monday, August 20, 2012

Challenge 12: DUDE TREK

For those of you who don't know, I am migrating to Los Angeles, and rather than ship everything and take a flight, I have decided to attempt  across the country.  Fairly standard, right?  Hordes of people have done this, (and I've actually done it before via the classic computer game Oregon Trail).  I don't want to do what everyone has done, so I've come up with a Dude Trek from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles that will  enjoyable, interesting, and memorable.  Here's what I've come up with:

The Route:
I will drive the 3,228 miles (57 hours) in 9 days.  I could have tried to beast out the trip in 4 or 5 days but I would have morphed into a raging road zombie and missed seeing the countryside.  I will be taking a northern route (a lot of I-80) until I get to Yellowstone National Park, then I will cut down through Idaho and Nevada, swing through Yosemite National Park, and wind up in sunny southern California.  Check out the specific route here: Dude Trek.


The Accomodations:
Hotels are for traveling salesman, pregnant women, and fools.  I refuse to pay $50 a night to stay in dirtbag hotels when I LOVE sleeping outdoors.  After doing a little research, I discovered that many National Parks charge entry fees, but it is legal to do "dispersed camping" in a National Forest or grassland.  So being the frugal and adventurous soul that I am, I purchased a Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and decided to hop from National Forest to National Forest.  This way I save on cash and get to check out more of the north western states. I gave the thing a trial run in my parent's barn...not too shabby.

The Experiment:
Driving alone can be cool...for a little while.  But then it's just not anymore.  So, I decided to make the trip interesting by conducting a bit of a social experiment.  It's called "#RoadTalk."  I am posting signs in my car windows with my phone number and a message that tells passersby to call me (maybe).  When/if they call, I will be interviewing and discussing random topics with them.  It is an opportunity to meet new people, pass the time, and maybe get a good story or two.  Oh, and I'll be video taping these carversations to put on Youtube for your viewing pleasure.  Check out the preview here.

You can keep up with my adventures by following @TheDudeLife on Twitter.

Dude Out,

-C.R.





No comments:

Post a Comment