Sunday, January 8, 2012

Challenge #1: Read a Classic

I wanted the first challenge of this series to be unusually difficult. Future endeavors might be more whimsical, embarrassing, or physically strenuous, but I wanted this one to be require mentally discipline and possibly even be unpleasant. In that vein, I determined to read a classic book. For those who may not be familiar with my typical recreational pursuits - they NEVER include reading. In fact, I have a rather strong aversion to reading, especially when it is for enjoyment.

The book I selected was none other than the American classic The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I chose the book first of all because it was recommended as a "must read" and given to me by a close friend. This challenge served as long awaited motivation to sit down and read it. Secondly, it is 455 pages long (a daunting count for a non-reader) and I knew that the quantity of reading would pose a serious challenge. The intimidation factor resulted in the following page count breakdown:
Sunday: 0
Monday: 30
Tuesday: 36
Wednesday: 18
Thursday: 0
Friday: 63
Saturday: 130
Sunday: 170 (technically, I read 20 pages on Monday, but I'm still counting this as a success).

This reveals several things. First: I am a procrastinator. Second and more importantly, that I CAN read a significant amount if I am determined to do so.

On to a quick book evaluation. It started off a little slow, but once people started dying and getting whacked in the skull with pick-axes, I couldn't put it down. However, the most enjoyable part of the book was Steinbeck's commentary on the nature of man. My favorite quote was in Chapter 14: "And this you can know - fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe."

I also have found myself talking in the Okie accent (a habit I am quickly trying to squelch).

Results Summary: This challenge was relatively difficult - it required much more mental focus and determination than I am accustomed to exercising. I am used to being able to dawdle at tasks, taking numerous TV and snack breaks. This challenge forced me to sit on my rear end for long periods of time and FOCUS. I do feel however, that this pursuit was worth my time and that my friend was correct in deeming The Grapes of Wrath a "must read."

Challenge#2: Eat something I've never tried before.

Dude out,

-C.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment