Sunday, January 15, 2012

Challenge #2: Bison is more manly than duck.

This week's challenge was not as time consuming as the last one - but it took much more thought. I love trying new things - especially food. I have eaten squid, bandicoot, cow tongue, crocodile, and pinky-finger-sized beetle larvae to name a few. Thus, the challenge became to FIND something I had never eaten.
Early in the week, I realized I had never eaten duck. All week in Los Angeles, I looked for duck but was unable to find it. And so, with the week's end rapidly approaching, I went to the grocery store in search of duck...and discovered that they only carried whole, frozen ducks. There was no way I could thaw and cook an entire duck in 3 hours. So I began scouring the meat aisle for an exotic protein I had never consumed. After looking at a thousand types of chicken, a plethora of cuts of beef, and countless things crammed into casing and labeled "sausage," I found what I was looking for.
While not nearly as exotic as I was hoping for, I found a package of Bison steak that piqued my curiosity. Bison is WAY more manly than duck anyway.
I purchased it quickly, and carted it home for preparation and consumption. I grilled it on my George Foreman grill - with some garlic powder and salt with steamed broccoli to supplement.
Bison has an unique flavor that greatly appealed to my manly palate. It has a wilder, earthier taste than beef, causing me to lament the fact I had not roasted it Davy Crockett style on the open range. The meat was also very lean (bonus!) and surprisingly tender.

This challenge was both pleasurable and fulfilling to complete. I much prefer bison to either bandicoot or larvae.

Quick shout out to Andrew Winner - a great friend living the dude life like a champ. Check out his 30@30 challenge blog HERE. Press on, brother!

Challenge #3: Go to the mall and get a girl's phone number.

Dude out,
-C.R.

2 comments:

  1. Two thoughts.
    1) I wish my last name was Winner so I could be a dude.
    2) I'm appalled that you are openly consuming "beverage alcohol." -Insert shame hash tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sparkling grape juice. And it was a gift.

    ReplyDelete