Monday, February 6, 2012

Challenge 5: Use Less and Useless

I have been wanting to complete this challenge for quite some time. The idea was spawned when I moved out of my parents house and thought "Sheesh, I'm only 24 - all this crap is MINE???!!" The inkling was distilled when I moved to Syracuse and realized, "I should get rid of some stuff." Last week I was vaulted into action following my encounter with Jim and decided to "Get rid of everything I don't use." The aim was neither entirely philanthropic or ascetic. I merely wanted to be honest about what I "need," eliminate clutter, and give my stuff to people who will use it.
Upon assessing my belongings, I realized two things. First, some of my stuff is only valuable to me; and second I horde junk. Thus, I began sorting my under-utilized possessions into two piles: "Donate" and "Dump." I threw out several pairs of battle-scarred shoes, a bunch of office supplies (who even uses wooden pencils anymore?), and a couple nasty old gym shirts. The donate pile however, expanded rapidly.
After an honest and thorough examination, I had accumulated a hefty quantity of "stuff." Some of the highlights include:
5 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of shoes, 3 belts, 2 walkie-talkies, 2 printers, 3 sweatshirts, over 20 shirts, a winter coat, ski pants, and a nice suit.
Although this challenge is not entirely complete (I have numerous belongings at my parents house pending evaluation), I did find the exercise worthwhile. Part of me wishes I had gotten rid of more things (I still have quite a few shirts), but on the whole I feel comfortable with the de-cluttering I have done.
Challenge #6: Try an odd system-cleanse/weight-loss diet. Just 'cause.
Dude out,
-C.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment